Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Philosophical Post

I just wanted to warn you that todays post is a philosophical one. Some of you undoubtedly just ran for the hills screaming. I would not try to persuade you otherwise. I guess I'm just talking to those of you who are left at this point ;-).

I was thinking today about the root of unhappiness in my life. The conclusion I came to was that the things that upset me most were times, places and events in my life where I believed the world owed me something. These situations are minion but include, low satisfaction at work, unhappiness with my worldly possessions and most importantly dissatisfaction with how I was treated by someone.

I pondered these things for some time and came to the conclusion that the world does not "owe" me anything. There are people that work incredibly hard all day long for a $8 an hour and here I am complaining that I did not get a bump in salary to $60,000 a year ;-). How many times have I bemoaned how someone treated me in junior high school? Can I count the number of times I thought I should be more successful because I was working 60-80 hours a week between my full time job and side businesses.

The expectations are in a word total and utter crap! Best to work as hard as you can and be happy with where you are. Better to focus on family and friends and pleasing and making them happy. The things you have can be taken away from you so quickly and then what do you have ... family and friends (hopefully). Better to focus on what is truly important in life, serving others and making others happy. Let's face the facts, some of the happiest times in our lives are found when we do something truly selfless and nice for others.

I guess this post boils down to a quotation by the famous luminary Mark Twain:

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

I hope and pray you are having a wonderful, expectation free life.

No comments: