Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Backup Your Work Folks

I produce a lot of digital data. My hard drive at home is a 80GB drive that came standard with my Dell PC purchase. 80 GB is quite a bit of storage but I still manage to fill it up on a consistent basis. I was getting incredibly tired of doing DVD backups of data, realizing a year later that I needed a file from last year and having to try to find the DVD I was looking for. Some would say "Hey Lambert, buy a flipping hard drive already!". I'm a cheapskate though and went around looking for a alternative.

After much gnashing of teeth I found a perfect (for me anyway) backup solution called Streamload. Streamload is a online backup solution. The $4.95 a month plan I am on allows unlimited data storage and 1GB a month in file retrieval. I don't know about you but I just want to backup stuff, I barely ever have to go to those files after backup. I just need to know that they are there.

Now, I regularly backup my PC to DVD (for safety) and Streamload. When I need files they are convenient to find on Streamload and I don't have to go digging through DVDs to find them. At $4.95 a month I would call that a bargain.

No comments: