Saturday, September 24, 2005

"Precious"


Just a little something I was working on today. I was thinking about the difference between what we feel is important and what truly is important. Then, being a complete and utter geek, I decided to create a 3D drawing to match my mood. A little while later and voila. Don't you feel sorry for the poor silly hobbit about to stick his finger in the ring?

This was a simple one actually. I took a mesh circle in blender. Cut off half of it and then scaled the circle down until I had a basic "U" shape (more spread out of course). Then I connected the mesh so that it was closed and rotate/copied it 120 times around a point (thus creating a ring). Then I set the material properties for the ring to a goldish color and increased specularity a lot ;-). Here are the material settings in Blender:


Then I made the ring a ray trace object and boosted it's reflectivity. Voila, the one ring. Then I took a map I found of Middle earth and mapped it to a plane to make well ... the map. Finally, I imported a hand trying to grasp something from Poser. After positioning it all in Blender I rendered with a light positioned to make a cool shadow. That is it. Hope your having as much fun this weekend as I am!

No comments: