Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Where's My Fiber?

In a time when our Internet Service Providers are planning on foisting "pay as you go" plans upon the American consumer, it might be useful to look back 12 years to 1996. In 1996, America's Congress was ready to pass the Telecommunications Reform Act. The telephone companies "promised" to run fiber to 86 million American homes by 2008. They also promised that this fiber would enable us to cruise the Internet at 45 Mbps. In exchange for this promised, the telcos received $200 billion in tax breaks and beneficial legislation. That is about $2000 per American home in benefits we never received.
If you or I had scammed every household in the United States to the tune of $2000 we would be sitting in prison. Of course, you and I don't have millions of dollars to pay the American government hush money.
Telcos ... I'm still waiting for my fiber. Next week would be fine with me.

No comments: